Why we chose here? It is the only campground in Yellowstone open all year round
Location: Mammoth Hot Springs, the northern entrance of Yellowstone
Sites: 86, spacious and most are pull throughs, some sites have flat pads for tents. Hiker/biker site.
2 x Handicap sites
Facilities: restrooms, fire pits, water spigots, firewood for sale
Groceries: Gardiner Market in Gardiner, 5 miles away, General Store in Mammoth
Reservations: No, first come first served. Come early as it fills up quickly during peak season.
Cell Coverage / WiFi: Verizon, for AT&T you will need to drive to Gardiner
Price Paid: $20 – cash or credit when the office is open
Date of visit: Feb & May 2015, May 2014
Would we come here again? Yes
- No dump station – there are dump stations at Madison, Fishing Bridge – but it’s a long way to drive
- You can use your generator during the hours of 8am to 8pm, quiet time in the campground is 10pm to 6am with a $50 fine for disobeying
- Elk and Bison often roam the grounds and keep the grass down!
- The road around the campground is sealed while the sites are gravel with plenty of space in between.
- Sells firewood
- Food storage boxes in some sites in case you need to store your food away from the bears.
- Recycle centre